When we first reviewed the Cowboy electric bike in 2019, we were impressed with the design, features and price. Since then, the company has been constantly finessing the bike to improve it.
Now, for 2021, it has announced the fourth generation which includes a step-through (ST) model that’s better suited to shorter riders from 160-190cm in height – that’s 5ft2in to 6ft2in. The C4 ST isn’t specifically for women, but it’s likely that’s who this style will appeal to.
Cowboy C4 release date & price
Both the C4 and C4 ST cost £2290 / €2490, which includes mudguards. There’s the option to add a kickstand for £29 / €29, or a rear rack + kickstand for £99 / €99. This is a bit more than the VanMoof S3 and X3, which come with a kickstand, built-in immobiliser and - like the Cowboy - offer GPS tracking.
You can pre-order both bikes immediately for a £100 / €100 deposit, and with the first deliveries beginning in September 2021, roughly a four month wait.
They’re both available in black, khaki and sand colours.
Cowboy C4 new features
Although the C4 itself looks the same from a distance, look closer and there are subtle tweaks such as the brake cables that enter the handlebar and stem for an ultra-clean look.
A key upgrade is a new custom motor which Cowboy says delivers 50% more torque, something that riders will appreciate since there are no gears: like previous generations, the C4 is a single-speed city bike.
There’s also a new, integrated QuadLock mount on the stem, and you can buy a compatible case for popular phones from Cowboy.
Phones will wirelessly connect to the bike and charge while mounted, and the Cowboy app now offers predictive battery life and consumption as well as weather and air quality along the planned route. You can even choose a ‘healthiest’ route along with fastest in the app.
Cowboy has also improved the app’s dashboard which lets riders track fitness data such as calories burned, along with trip distance, average speed and elevation gain.
“The last three years have seen Cowboy go from an idea of reimagining the electric bike to becoming a sought-after brand and product with a devoted community of riders within the mobility space,” Adrien Roose shared. “We’ve stayed true to our initial vision of providing a better alternative to the car — in form and function — and with the Cowboy 4 it’s a shift we will accelerate and lead.”
Cowboy C4 / C4 ST specifications
- Weight C4: 18.9 kg including battery
- Weight C4 ST: 19.2 kg including battery
- Frame material: Aluminium 6061
- Rider height C4: 170–195 cm tall
- Rider height C4 ST: 160–190 cm tall
- Tires: Custom puncture-resistant tires with puncture protection, 47 mm width
- Brakes: Front and rear hydraulic disc
- Front lights: Integrated LED front light can be turned on/off via the app
- Rear lights: Integrated LED rear light intensifies when decelerating and/or braking
- Warranty: 2 years
- Range: up to 70 km
- Battery: 2.4 kg removable battery. 360 Wh and 10.0 Ah
- Mobile app: iOS and Android.
- Colours: Black, Khaki, Sand
- Belt C4: Gates carbon belt, gear ratio 60/21 (2.85)
- Belt C4 ST: Gates carbon belt, gear ratio 57/21 (2.71).
- Charger: 100 W charger with a charging time of 3.5 hours
- Motor: Custom-designed 45 Nm / 250 W motor, integrated into the rear wheel
- Maximum assisted speed: 25 km/h (15 mph)