A realistic avatar isn’t exactly a new piece of technology having been around a long time on the likes of Xbox Live and Samsung’s AR Emoji. However, Facebook is now getting in on the game and here’s how to make an Avatar to use as your profile picture and stickers.
First things first, you’ll need to do this on the Facebook app not the web version in a browser. So make sure you’re got your phone or tablet to hand and get the iOS or Android app updated to the latest version if you can’t see the option.
How to make a Facebook Avatar
- Open the app and tap the three lines in the top right corner
- Scroll down and click ‘See More’ next to the coloured shapes
- Select Avatars at the top of this list
- Click next and then begin creating your avatar starting with skin tone
- Then customise it with a huge range of facial elements, accessories and clothes
- Keep going until you’re happy with your avatar and use the mirror icon to bring up your selfie camera to compare with your actual face
Once you’re done, you can then set it as your profile picture using the share button at the top, view the automatically generated stickers or edit it.
You can then send stickers in Facebook Messenger or use them in comments, just tap the emoji button at the side of the box and under stickers you’ll see your avatar at the bottom next to a clock symbol.