So you want to share the same WhatsApp account on two separate phones?
Technically, you can't: "There is no option to have a WhatsApp account with two phone numbers", says the WhatsApp FAQs – an unhelpful answer if you have a second phone but don't want to deactivate WhatsApp on your first phone.
Thanks to WhatsApp for web, however, there is an easy work-around. It's not perfect – as in you can't use the app version on both phones – but it will let you access the same account on separate devices. Here's how:
- Open the browser on your second phone and head to WhatsApp Web (web.whatsapp.com)
- Go to the Settings (three dots in the top right corner) and switch over to Desktop View, which should take you to a page with a QR code.
(If you get redirected to the WhatsApp desktop homepage, just click "WhatsApp Web" in the top left).
Also see: How secure is WhatsApp? We take a look
- Open the WhatsApp app on your first phone and go to Settings > Click on WhatsApp Web > Click on Link Device
- Scan the QR code from your second phone
- You should now be able to use WhatsApp on both phones