The hugely popular Game Awards event celebrates the achievements of developers in the past 12 months, but there are usually new game trailers and reveals sprinkled in for the thousands of fans that tune in from home, making it a must-watch event whether you care about the prizes or not.

2021's ceremony is a few months off yet. If you want to know when it takes place, how to watch it and what to expect from the show this year, then keep on reading. 

When are the Game Awards 2021?

The Game Awards usually take place in December, and this year is no different: the show will be airing on Friday 10 December. It will kick off at the following times:

  • 1am GMT (11 December) 
  • 9pm ET 
  • 6pm PT
  • 3am CET (11 December)

The runtime in total is expected to be around three hours. If you're in the UK, you're in for a late night/early morning. The event will broadcast live from the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles, where an in-person ceremony will be taking place. 

The Game Awards statuette

How can I watch the Game Awards 2021?

The organisers promise that you'll be able to watch the Game Awards across more than 40 global video platforms, so it's a safe bet that those will include YouTube, Twitch and Facebook

Streamers will also have the option to co-stream the event as it airs for live reactions. 

Who will be presenting the awards? 

Geoff Keighley is back to host the evening, but we suspect that there will be numerous celebrity cameos to help distribute the awards. We'll likely hear who these are closer to the time.

Last year, there were appearances from the likes of Brie Larson, Keanu Reeves and even the Swedish Chef. 

The Game Awards Geoff Keighley

What trailers and announcements will be made?

Besides those getting awards, we'll also see a whole bunch of exciting news for 2022 and beyond, including trailers and new game reveals, special in-game events, and even playable demos dropping during the show. There'll also be a Game Awards Sale that runs across multiple PC and console store fronts.

Whilst we haven't had any confirmation on which games/companies will make announcements, there's possibilities of news for the likes of the Breath of the Wild sequel, Sonic Rangers, Starfield, Horizon Forbidden West and more. 

Game Awards 2021 nominees

Nominations haven't yet been revealed - they'll likely go live sometime in November. The winners are decided by a combination of jury and audience vote. Audience vote only counts for 10% of the overall score - the remaining 90% is decided by the voting jury.

Once we have the nominees, we'll update this article.