The release of the PS5 marks an exciting time in the gaming world, ushering in a new generation of games enhanced by Sony's new powerful console and the innovative DualSense controller. There are plenty of PS5 exclusives on the way, but what if you want to play them when you’re on your morning commute or even on holiday in another country? The PS5 is a big ol’ machine, as we all know, so it’s not exactly easy to take with you.
The answer is Remote Play, a feature Sony offers for both PS4 and PS5 users, with the latter allowing you to play the latest PS5 titles from your iPhone or Android, and you can even connect your DualSense controller to complete the on-the-go gaming experience.
Here’s everything you need to know about playing PS5 games on an iPhone or Android.
Connecting your DualSense controller to your smartphone
Before you delve into the latest and greatest PS5 games on your smartphone, you’ll need to first pair your DualSense controller. It’s not technically required to play, as Sony provides a touch overlay with access to all DualSense buttons and triggers, but it’s a fiddly process so a controller is your best bet.
It’s also worth pointing out that while you specifically need the newer DualSense controller to play PS5 titles on your console, you can use a DualShock 4 when playing newer titles via Remote Play.
With that in mind, here’s how to connect your DualSense (or DualShock 4) controller to your smartphone:
- Open the Settings app on your smartphone and tap the Bluetooth menu.
- On your DualSense controller, hold the PlayStation button and Create button (Share on the DS4) to enter pairing mode. You’ll know once it’s activated by the flashing LEDs.
- On your smartphone, tap the DualSense controller on the list of available devices to initiate pairing.
- After a few seconds, your DualSense controller should successfully connect to your smartphone, ready for use.
Playing PS5 games on an iPhone or Android
Of course, there isn’t a single smartphone that could natively run PS5 games, so you’ll instead be relying on Sony’s Remote Play functionality, allowing you to stream gameplay from your PS5 to your smartphone. This requires a PS5, somewhat obviously, as well as a stable internet connection.
We’d also recommend connecting your PS5 to the internet via Ethernet for a faster, more stable connection, and be sure that your smartphone is either connected to Wi-Fi or 5G for the best streaming experience.
With that out of the way, here’s how to play PS5 games on your iPhone or Android using PS5 Remote Play.
On your PS5:
- Go to Settings > System > Remote Play and confirm ‘Enable Remote Play’ is on.
- Go to System > Power Saving > Features Available in Rest Mode and make sure ‘Stay Connected to the Internet’ and ‘Enable Turning on PS5 from Network’ are both enabled.
On your smartphone:
- Download the PS Remote Play app for iOS or Android.
- Tap ‘Sign in to PSN’ and log in with the PSN username and password associated with your PS5.
- When asked which console you’d like to connect to, tap PS5. If you’re on an iPhone running iOS 14, allow the app to access your local network via the pop-up.
- Wait for your smartphone to find and connect to your console.
You’re now ready to play PS5 games on your smartphone!