The 73rd annual Emmy Awards is drawing every closer, and there’ll be plenty of interest on both sides of the Atlantic in watching America’s biggest TV awards show when it kicks off.
Here’s everything you need to know about the 2021 Emmys, including when it’s happening, who’s been nominated, and how to watch it live from anywhere in the world.
When are the Primetime Emmy Awards?
The 2021 Emmys will take place this Sunday 19 September, and the ceremony will be held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. It will kick off at the following times:
- 1am BST (UK)
- 8pm ET (East Coast US)
- 5pm PT (West Coast US)
Usually the ceremony lasts for around three hours in total, and there will be red carpet coverage leading up to the event.
How to watch the Emmys on TV
If you’re in the US and have cable TV, watching along live is pretty easy: just tune into CBS when the show is on. If you're in the UK or elsewhere it's trickier, as the Emmys aren't broadcast everywhere - so check out our dedicated advice to watching the show from abroad.
How to stream the Emmys online
If you’d rather watch from your phone, tablet, or computer, you should be able to watch it live through Paramount+, a streaming service owned by CBS. An account with Paramount+ costs either $4.99 for ad-supported viewing, or $9.99 for ad-free. With it you can also watch shows such as Star Trek: Lower Decks, as well as CBS programming.
You can sign up over on the Paramount+ website, and there's a seven-day free trial for new subscribers. Paramount+ is currently exclusive to the US - however there is a way to sign up for an account from abroad.
As usual, Sky will be showing coverage the night after, on 20 September at 10:50pm on Sky Max. If you don't have a Sky subscription, then you can still watch it via Now's Entertainment Membership, which costs £9.99 per month and has a seven day free trial.
As for watching the awards ceremony live, the show won’t be broadcast on UK TV, and the Paramount+ website won’t let you stream the channel from a local IP address. This means you’ll need a VPN if you want to follow along live.
A VPN lets you use the internet while masking your true location information, meaning that you can trick the Paramount+ website into thinking you’re browsing from the US.
There are free VPNs, but they’re usually slow and unreliable - not ideal for live streaming TV. Instead we’d recommend you pay for one, or at least use the free trial of a paid VPN. Our top recommendation is NordVPN, but check out our guide to the best VPNs for streaming if you want to see some of the other great alternatives.
Once you’ve chosen a VPN, just install it and turn it on, making sure to choose a server based in the US. Then, head over to the Paramount Plus website.
There is the hurdle of payment information, as the website doesn't accept cards that aren't tied to a US bank account. You can get around this by purchasing a digital gift card for Paramount Plus, and using this as your payment information.
Once you've received your gift card in your email inbox, head to the Paramount Plus gift card page and input the pin on your email gift receipt, and choose which plan you want to sign up for.
As with using any VPN, this is technically against Paramount+'s terms of service, meaning that they could cancel your account without warning. Proceed at your own risk.
You can read further instructions in our guide for watching Paramount+ abroad.
Who is hosting?
Cedric the Entertainer, comedian and star of The Neighborhood will be hosting this year's ceremony. In a statement to CBS, he said: "Since I was a little boy huddled up next to my grandmother, television has always been my reliable friend, so it is an enormous honor for me to host this year's Emmy Awards".
Who are the nominees?
All the nominations are now out, with The Crown and The Mandalorian leading the way with a massive 24 nominations each. They are closely followed by WandaVision, Ted Lasso and The Handmaid's Tale.
Here's all the nominations across the categories:
Outstanding Drama Series
- The Boys
- The Crown
- The Mandalorian
- Lovecraft Country
- The Handmaid's Tale
- This Is Us
Outstanding Comedy Series
- Cobra Kai
- Emily in Paris
- Ted Lasso
- The Flight Attendant
- The Kominsky Method
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
- Regé-Jean Page, Bridgerton
- Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
- Billy Porter, Pose
- Jonathan Majors, Lovecraft Country
- Matthew Rhys, Perry Mason
- Josh O'Connor, The Crown
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
- Emma Corrin, The Crown
- Olivia Colman, The Crown
- Uzo Aduba, In Treatment
- Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid's Tale
- Jurnee Smollett, Lovecraft Country
- Mj Rodriguez, Pose
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
- Michael K. Williams, Lovecraft Country
- Bradley Whitford, The Handmaid's Tale
- Max Minghella, The Handmaid's Tale
- O-T Fagbenle, The Handmaid's Tale
- John Lithgow, Perry Mason
- Tobias Menzies, The Crown
- Giancarlo Esposito, The Mandalorian
- Chris Sullivan, This Is Us
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
- Gillian Anderson, The Crown
- Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown
- Emerald Fennell, The Crown
- Ann Dowd, The Handmaid's Tale
- Yvonne Strahovski, The Handmaid's Tale
- Samira Wiley, The Handmaid's Tale
- Madeline Brewer, The Handmaid's Tale
- Aunjanue Ellis, Lovecraft Country
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
- Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
- Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
- Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method
- William H. Macy, Shameless
- Kenan Thompson, Kenan
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
- Aidy Bryant, Shrill
- Jean Smart, Hacks
- Allison Janney, Mom
- Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
- Bowen Yang, Saturday Night Live
- Kenan Thompson, Saturday Night Live
- Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
- Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso
- Nick Mohammed, Ted Lasso
- Jeremy Swift, Ted Lasso
- Paul Reiser, The Kominsky Method
- Carl Clemons-Hopkins, Hacks
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
- Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
- Cecily Strong, Saturday Night Live
- Aidy Bryant, Saturday Night Live
- Rosie Perez, The Flight Attendant
- Hannah Einbinder, Hacks
- Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
- Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
Outstanding Limited Series
- Mare of Easttown
- I May Destroy You
- The Queen's Gambit
- The Underground Railroad
Outstanding Television Movie
- Uncle Frank
- Sylvie's Love
- Robin Roberts Presents: Mahalia
- Dolly Parton's Christmas on The Square
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Paul Bettany, WandaVision
- Hugh Grant, The Undoing
- Ewan McGregor, Halston
- Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton
- Leslie Odom Jr., Hamilton
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown
- Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
- Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen's Gambit
- Elizabeth Olsen, WandaVision
- Cynthia Erivo, Genius: Aretha
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Jean Smart, Mare of Easttown
- Julianne Nicholson, Mare of Easttown
- Kathryn Hahn, WandaVision
- Phillipa Soo, Hamilton
- Renee Elise Goldsberry, Hamilton
- Moses Ingram, The Queen's Gambit
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Daveed Diggs, Hamilton
- Jonathan Groff, Hamilton
- Anthony Ramos, Hamilton
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster, The Queen's Gambit
- Evan Peters, Mare of Easttown
- Paapa Essiedu, I May Destroy You
Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
- Courtney B. Vance, Lovecraft Country
- Charles Dance, The Crown
- Don Cheadle, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
- Timothy Olyphant, The Mandalorian
- Carl Weathers, The Mandalorian
Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
- Alexis Bledel, The Handmaid's Tale
- Mckenna Grace, The Handmaid's Tale
- Claire Foy, The Crown
- Phylicia Rashad, This Is Us
- Sophie Okonedo, Ratched
Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
- Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live
- Dave Chappelle, Saturday Night Live
- Daniel Kaluuya, Saturday Night Live
- Dan Levy, Saturday Night Live
- Morgan Freeman, The Kominsky Method
Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
- Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live
- Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live
- Issa Rae, A Black Lady Sketch Show
- Jane Adams, Hacks
- Bernadette Peters, Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
- Yvette Nicole Brown, A Black Lady Sketch Show
Outstanding Variety Sketch Series
- A Black Lady Sketch Show
- Saturday Night Live
- Outstanding Variety Talk Series
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
- Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Outstanding Competition Program
- The Amazing Race
- Nailed It!
- RuPaul's Drag Race
- Top Chef
- The Voice
Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program
- RuPaul, RuPaul's Drag Race
- Bobby Berk, Karamo Brown, Tan France, Antoni Porowski and Jonathan Van Ness, Queer Eye
- Nicole Byer, Nailed It!
- Padma Lakshmi, Tom Colicchio, and Gail Simmons, Top Chef
- Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Lori Greiner, Robert Herjavec, Daymond John, and Kevin O'Leary, Shark Tank