The Pixel 4a and 4a 5G are out now now in the UK, with Google staggering the release of its latest mid-range phones. The 4a was available from 1 October before the 4a 5G finally arrived on 19 November. To complicate matters, the regular model was release in the US as early as 20 August.
Despite what the name suggests, there are plenty of differences between the two models besides 5G connectivity. The Pixel 4a 5G comes with a larger 6.2in display (compared to 5.81in), and a more modern Snapdragon 765G instead of 730G. There's also a dedicated ultra-wide rear camera lens and a bigger battery.
That's reflected in the price, with the 4a 5G costing £499 at launch, while the regular 4a starts at £349. All this is not forgetting the Pixel 5, which was announced alongside the 4a 5G and released on 15 October 2020.
Many great contract and SIM-free deals look set to continue throughout 2021. HEre are the best we've found.
How much do the Pixel 4a and 4a 5G cost?
At launch, the Pixel 4a cost £349/US$349. There's only one configuration available, offering 6GB RAM and 128GB storage. The improved specs on the 4a 5G are reflected in its price - £499/US$499.
Both the Pixel 4a and 4a 5G scored an impressive 8/10 in our full reviews, with the former considered one of the best mid-range phones you can buy. However, it's only available in black, so it's worth considering one of these great cases to go with it.
Best Google Pixel 4a deals
The Pixel 4a has been discounted in the past, and is likely to be again via the following retailers in the UK:
US SIM-free offers - $299.99 at Best Buy
If you'd prefer, you can pick up the Pixel 4a from the following carriers in the UK:
- Carphone Warehouse - Best plan: £30 per month with no upfront costs for 54GB data (Vodafone)
- EE - Best plan: £35 per month with £30 upfront for 10GB data
- iD Mobile - Best plan: £24.99 per month with £9.99 upfront for unlimited data
- Mobiles.co.uk - Best cashback plan: £20 per month with no upfront cost for 30GB data (Vodafone). Plans also available with iD Mobile, Virgin
- O2 - Plans start at £25 per month with £30 upfront for 2GB data and 6 months of Disney+. More options detailed below
- Three - Best plan: £26 per month with £19 upfront for 12GB data. Plus three months' free YouTube Premium, Google One and Google Play Pass
- Vodafone - Best plan: £35 per month, £29 upfront for unlimited data
We would also recommend looking at the following phone retailers for cashback contract deals, though some offer non-cashback plans as well:
US contract availability
Best Google Pixel 4a 5G deals
The Pixel 4a 5G is currently available via the following retailers:
Here's where you can buy the phone on contract in the UK:
- EE - from £35 per month with £100 upfront, or £46 per month with £70 upfront and free subscription
- Vodafone - from £34 per month with £49 upfront
- Carphone Warehouse - from £26 per month with £29.99 upfront
- iD Mobile - from £24.99 per month with £29.99 upfront
- Mobiles.co.uk - from £26 per month with no upfront costs (Vodafone)
Check out a summary of more great deals below:
1. Google Pixel 4a (4G) with unlimited data (iD Mobile) and free Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones
From: Carphone Warehouse
Now: From £26.99 per month, £79.99 upfront
Carphone Warehouse's excellent deal bundles unlimited minutes, texts and 4G data on the Pixel 4a with a free pair of five-star Sony WH-10000XM4 headphones (usually worth £350). Just pay £79.99 upfront and it's all yours for £26.99 per month. Cheaper plans can get you Google's Pixel Buds instead.
2. Google Pixel 4a (4G) with 12GB data
Now: £26 per month, £19 upfront (with 3 months' free YouTube Premium, Google One and Google Play Pass)
In addition to getting unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 12GB of data, Three's Pixel 4a deal gets you three month subscriptions to YouTube Premium, Google One for cloud and Google Play Pass for mobile gaming.
3. Google Pixel 4a (4G) with 2GB, 5GB or 15GB data
Now: From £25 per month, £30 upfront (with 6 months Disney+ free)
In addition to the data you pay for and unlimited minutes and texts, a Pixel 4a subscription with O2 will also get you free subscriptions.
For 2GB, you'll get 6 months of Disney+, but upgrade to 5GB or 15GB and you can also choose from 3 months of Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Music Unlimited, Audible, Calm, McAfee & more instead. Also available with the Pixel 5.
For discounts on Google's other 2020 phone, check out the best Google Pixel 5 deals.
Should I buy refurbished?
For even bigger Pixel 4a and 4a 5G discounts, consider buying refurbished. Some might see this as another word for 'second hand', but in reality many of these devices have barely been used at all.
Remember, if a product has been used for demonstration purposes or returned as an unwanted gift, retailers must classify them as 'refurbished' despite looking and performing just like new. It's true that there are situations where a fault has been fixed, so it's worth checking the description for any device you're considering buying.
Refurbished Pixel 4a and 4a 5G phones are relatively few and far between at the moment, but it's worth checking the options at Smartphone Checker. We're also big fans of MusicMagpie, although there's nothing available just yet. You may also want to consider Amazon Renewed at a later date.
See more in our guide to refurbished tech.
Refurbished tech is a great way to make a more affordable purchase, but there are plenty of great deals on new tech items right now.