Sony surprised PlayStation gamers when it revealed a partnership with Discord back in May 2021, with the two companies pledging to make it easier to use popular chat platform Discord with your PS4 or PS5. Not much was said for a while – or more accurately, close to a year – but the integration is finally rolling out to Discord users worldwide.
It’s available in the UK and US at the time of writing, with rollout slowly reaching more territories over time.
Don’t get too excited just yet though; while some imagined a Discord app for PlayStation that’d let you chat to your Discord buddies when playing games on the console, it’s not quite that snazzy.
Instead, you’ll be able to display your PSN username and the game you’re currently playing on your Discord account, much as it does with PC games. It might not be the full-blown integration some had hoped for, but it’s better than nothing right?
If you’re interested in linking your PlayStation account to Discord, here’s how to do it.
How to connect your PSN account to Discord
The good news is that, if the PlayStation Network integration has rolled out to your territory, you’ll be able to connect the service using Discord on any platform. I’ll be using the Discord for iOS app for the tutorial, but the process is the exact same on PC and other apps:
- Open the Discord app and log in to your account if you haven’t already.
- Select your profile icon to the User Settings menu.
- Select Connections.
- Select the Plus icon to add a new connection.
- Select PlayStation Network from the list of connections. If you can’t find it, support hasn’t rolled out in your territory just yet.
- Log in to your PlayStation account and verify the details of the account link.
- Once added, you can enable the ability to not only display your PSN username on your profile, but the game you’re currently playing on your console too.
There isn’t full-blown integration that allows you to circumvent Sony’s party chat functionality for Discord just yet, but there is hope that Sony will allow it – or something along those lines – in future.
Related content you might like