If you want to get a refund on an app, music, movie, TV show or book purchase from the App Store or iTunes, you can go directly to Apple and request one at any time. It’s much easier than
getting a refund on PS4, which has strict stipulations on when you can request a refund on digital content, although you will need a good reason for the refund – you can’t just use the refund process to ‘trial’ premium apps you don’t really want to pay for.
But with that being said, if you’ve accidentally bought a song on the iTunes Store or downloaded a premium app that won’t run on your iPhone or iPad, you’ll more than likely be entitled to a full refund from Apple. Here’s how to get your money back from the App Store and iTunes on iPhone, iPad, Mac and PC.
How to get a refund from your iPhone or iPad
- Open the Mail app and find the “Your receipt from Apple” invoice including the app, song or movie you’d like to get a refund for.
- Tap Report a Problem next to the purchase you’d like to get refunded.
- You’ll be taken to Apple’s problem reporting page in Safari – enter your Apple ID to continue.
- Tap Choose Problem and select the appropriate reason from the drop-down.
- Tap Submit to send your request to Apple.
Depending on the reason for your refund, you’ll likely be waiting a few days – if it’s approved, of course.
How to get a refund using iTunes on PC or Mac
If you’re on a Mac or PC and have iTunes installed, you can apply for an App Store or iTunes refund via Apple’s music player.
- Open iTunes on your PC or Mac.
- Click Account > View My Account.
- Enter your Apple ID.
- In the Purchase History section, click See All.
- Locate the app or content you’d like a refund for. If you can’t find it, adjust the time frame in the drop-down in the top left.
- Click More next to the content you’d like to get refunded.
- Click Report a Problem – it should appear beneath the content, rather than to the right of it.
- At this point, you’ll be redirected to the Apple Report a Problem site in your browser and prompted to log in once again.
- Click the What can we help you with? drop-down menu and select Request a refund.
- Add any additional info in the text field beneath and click Submit to send your request to Apple.
If your reason is good enough, you should receive your refund within a few days.
How to get a refund via the web
If you’re running macOS Catalina, which doesn’t feature iTunes, or whether you simply want to sidestep using Apple’s music player, you can also apply for a refund via the web on your PC or Mac.
- Head to
reportaproblem.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID.
- Select the appropriate tab to find the content you’d like to refund – All, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps and Books.
- Scroll down to find your purchase, and click Report a Problem to the right of it.
- Click Choose Problem and select your issue from the drop-down menu. Enter the reason for your refund if necessary.
- Hit Submit to send your refund request to Apple.
As with the other methods mentioned above, you should receive your refund within a few days of submitting – as long as it’s approved by Apple.
For more handy Apple tips, take a look at
how to clear the cache on iPhone and
how to reset a Mac too.