Senior Staff Writer, Tech AdvisorDEC 8, 2022 11:30 am GMT
Image: The Games Awards
Its time for the Game Awards, an annual event that celebrates the achievements of developers in the past 12 months. However, there are usually new game trailers and reveals sprinkled in for the thousands of fans that tune in from home, making it a must-watch event whether you care about the prizes or not.
If you want to know when 2022’s ceremony takes place, how to watch it and what to expect from the show this year, then keep on reading.
When are the Game Awards 2022?
The Game Awards will be airing tonight, Thursday 8 December 2022. It will kick-off at the following times:
12:30am GMT (9 December)
1:30am CET (9 December)
The runtime has not been confirmed. However, Geoff Keighley confirmed on Twitter Spaces that it will be “significantly shorter” than last year’s event, which took around three and a half hours. Either way, if you’re in the UK, you’re in for a late-night/early morning.
The event will broadcast live from the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles, where an in-person ceremony will be taking place.
How can I watch the Game Awards 2022?
The organisers promise that you’ll be able to watch the Game Awards across more than 40 global video platforms, including YouTube, Twitch, Facebook and Twitter.
We have embedded the stream above, so you can bookmark this page and watch directly from here.
Streamers will also have the option to co-stream the event as it airs for live reactions. You can sign-up for co-streaming here.
Geoff Keighley is back to host the evening, and as usual there are numerous celebrities and games industry icons appearing to help distribute the awards.
The following guests have been confirmed:
Ken and Roberta Williams
Animal from The Muppets
There will be a performance from Hozier, who will be singing Blood Upon the Snow from God of War Ragnarök.
What trailers and announcements will be made?
Besides those getting awards, we’ll also see a whole bunch of exciting news for 2023 and beyond, including trailers and new game reveals, special in-game events, and even playable demos dropping during the show. There’ll also be a Game Awards Sale that runs across multiple PC and console storefronts.
We already have confirmation that there will be news about the following titles: Star Wars Jedi Survivor (the sequel to Fallen Order), Tekken 8, Baldur’s Gate 3 and Destiny 2: Lightfall, as well as a mysterious project from the renowned developer, Hideo Kojima.
There are also rumours that we will get news about a new Crash Bandicoot game, as well as Final Fantasy XVI.
Game Awards 2022 nominees
Nominations have now been revealed, with God of War Ragnarök, Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West all leading the pack.
The winners are decided by a combination of jury and audience votes. Audience vote only counts for 10% of the overall score – the remaining 90% is decided by the voting jury.
Hannah Cowton is a Senior Staff Writer at Tech Advisor and Macworld, working across entertainment, consumer technology and lifestyle. Her interests and specialities lie in streaming services, film and television reviews and rumours, gaming, wearables and smart home products. She's also the creator of The London Geek, a geek culture and lifestyle blog.