If you need to turn a JPG image – such as a photo – into a PDF file, there are quite a few ways to do it. One of the easiest is to use a website (there are many) which let you upload your image (or a selection of images), turn them into a PDF and let you download it to your computer.
This, and other ways we’ll show you, are all free and you don’t have to download or install any software, though you might prefer that option if you need more control over how the images appear.
How do I convert a JPG to a PDF?
You might not realise, but Windows 10 has everything you need to do the job. It has what’s called a PDF printer. And this is just like it sounds, it ‘prints’ any document to PDF files.
When you open the print settings in an app that can print, you’ll see the a list of printers including one called Microsoft Print to PDF. (You may have more than one PDF printer listed, especially if you’ve got
Adobe Reader DC installed.)
When you choose this instead of a real printer, it will save the file as a PDF on your hard drive. Here’s how you do it:
1. Open Windows File Explorer (the shortcut is Windows+E).
2. Find the JPG file(s) you want to convert to PDF. You can select multiple files by clicking and dragging a rectangle around them, or by holding the Ctrl key on your keyboard and clicking on each one you want.
Obviously the files need to be in the same folder for this to work. Choosing multiple JPG files will create a multi-page PDF document.
3. Now right-click on any of the selected files and choose Print.
This opens up Windows’ built-in image printing wizard. Here you need to change the printer to Microsoft Print to PDF. If that’s missing from the list, install Adobe Reader DC as mentioned above.
4. You can use the options available in the wizard to put multiple images on each page of the PDF, and even change the page size from A4 to another size.
5. Once you’ve set all your options click Print.
You’ll see the printing progress happening just as if the file was being printed normally but at the end a box will pop up asking where you want to save your PDF. You’ll also need to enter a file name.
Click the Save button and your PDF will be created, ready to share with anyone you like.
How to convert JPG to PDF online
There are lots of websites where you can upload your JPG files and convert them into one PDF. Or you can create a PDF from a single image.
All the websites work in the same basic way. We’re using
JPG2PDF here. Unlike some of these websites, this one has no file size limit and won’t put a watermark on the PDFs. Other options include
1. Click the link above to go to the site and either drag and drop your JPGs or click the Upload Files button.
2. When your files are all uploaded, click the COMBINED button which should really say ‘Download’ as that’s what it does.
You may have to edit the filename after it has downloaded as it defaults to jpg2pdf.pdf.
Related articles for further reading