How to watch American Netflix on iPad in the UK
If you have a UK Netflix account you won’t be able to access some of the (better) content provided to US Netflix customers.
Apps for iOS such as Hola and TunnelBear allow you to access US Netflix on your
iPad in the UK. Step by step, we’ll guide you through the process to get US Netflix on your iPad.
Netflix enables you to watch movies and TV shows online or stream them on your TV, iPad and other devices. Unfortunately, for people in the UK, better TV programmes are available in the US than in England. Indeed, Netflix supplies you with different shows depending on where you are. The IP address on your device provides Netflix with your current location, allowing you to watch only movies and shows that are provided by the Netflix edition of the country you are in.
But there is some good news. Netflix can be easily tricked, making it believe that you are in the US, even if you are not.
There are apps for iOS, such as Hola or TunnelBear, that can be easily installed on your iPad and will allow you to watch American Netflix when you’re in the UK. Also see:
How to avoid the latest Netflix scam.
How to watch American Netflix on iPad in the UK: Install a VPN
Hola is a program that allows you to access US-only services in the UK. It routes your internet connection through a US server, thereby masking your UK IP address.
If you’ve got an iPad, you can install the Hola app on your device by following these steps:
- 1. Open the App Store, then find and install the Hola Privacy VPN App & Browser. Launch the app once it has installed to your iPad.
2. If you don’t already have a Hola account click on Create New Account, then enter your email and password.
3. The app will launch the Safari browser. Click on the VPN icon that appears at the bottom of the page.
4. The Hola app switches to the VPN Setup Instructions section. Click Ok, Let’s Do It.
5. The app brings you to the Install Profile setting; Tap install.
6. Enter the four-digit passcode lock if your iPad has one.
7. Tap Next, Install, Install and Done.
Now Hola has been set up it will work as a private network, allowing you to watch American programmes on the Netflix app on your iPad.
How to watch American Netflix on iPad in the UK: Alternatives to Hola
An alternative to Hola is TunnelBear. It is also available as an app on your iPad and it can be downloaded from the App Store. As before, open the App Store, then find and install TunnelBear. Launch the app and complete the setup instructions.
How to watch American Netflix on iPad in the UK: Hide your IP address
Now that you have installed Hola or TunnelBear, you need to turn on the VPN in order to begin streaming US Netflix on your iPad. Also see:
Netflix vs Amazon Prime
1. Go to Settings and select VPN.
2. Scroll through the different versions of Hola and check that Hola United States has a tick next to it; if not, tap on Hola United States. If Hola United States does not appear, you need to reinstall the app.
3. Tap the switch next to Not Connected at the top of the page.
4. Wait for the label to change from Not Connected to Connected.
How to watch American Netflix on iPad in the UK: Access US Netflix from the UK
The VPN is now active, and you will appear as though you are accessing online services from an iPad in America. Launch the Netflix app on your iPad and you should automatically be able to watch the American version. Enjoy!
The best movies on Netflix